Welcome! Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks for taking the time to help us find great places to stop along the way. We know that everyone has their favorite little diner, or pizza place, or store with the most unique finds. Please share.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

A few good books I've been reading along the way

These are a few of the books I've been reading on this trip.  Too bad I've only finished one, so far.




 My sister-in-law sent this book to me just before we left for our trip.  I'm so glad she did.  I had never heard of this book, but I loved reading it.  It's about a Harvard educated couple who finds out that the child they are expecting has Down syndrome.  Going against the advice of their peers, they decide to have their child.  Martha Beck is smart, funny, and lets it all out for all of us to see.  The heartache, and the hope.  She says that she had to "unlearn everything Harvard taught (her) about what is precious, and what is garbage".  I loved it so much that I think I'm going to have to get my own copy, so I can loan it out to my friends.  








 I've learned a lot about the food of New Orleans, and the wonderful spirit and heart of the people who live there.  Only halfway through, but looking forward to the next chapter.  If you love food and history, you'll also like this book.







I first spotted this book at Destrehan Plantation some time ago, but bought a different book instead.  I bought the Times-Picayune Creole Cookbook, still one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, on that visit to New Orleans.  The next time, I bought Memories of the Old Plantation Home, by Laura Locoul Gore.  This time, I went looking for The Plantation Mistress in an old bookstore in the French Quarter, and what do you know?  They had one copy left.  Yay.  Not that I wouldn't have liked to drive out to Destrehan again to look at their bookstore.  Just started it, but it looks like a book I'll enjoy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to take a look at our blog. Please share the favorite stops you've found along the way.